Become a Police Officer
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a United States citizen
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Have or be able to obtain a valid South Carolina driver's license
- Have not had a driver's license suspension during the last 5 years for DUI; leaving the scene of an accident; reckless homicide; or involuntary manslaughter
- Have never been convicted of a felony or domestic violence
- Have never been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude or a misdemeanor carrying a possible sentence of more than 1 year
- Have not defaulted on a student loan
- Have a good credit history
Steps in the hiring process include:
- All applicants must submit an application through the City of Greenville's jobs portal online. Due to the large number of applications we receive, the application for Police Officer is typically only open for 3-4 weeks at a time, and is posted quarterly.
- Physical Ability Test (PAT)
- This is required for admission into the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy and is the first test all applicants take after applying to the GPD. The course and all obstacles must be successfully completed in under 2 minutes and 6 seconds.
- Written Exam
- After passing the PAT, applicants immediately take the National Criminal Justice Officer Selection Inventory Exam. Applicants must score 70% or better on this exam.
- Interview Board
- After successfully completing the written exam, applicants are scheduled for an interview board in front of 3 GPD officers. The Board scores applicants based on their responses to a series of questions.
- Polygraph Exam
- All applicants who pass the interview board are scheduled for a polygraph examination.
- Drug Screen
- Applicants are given a drug screen during their pre-employment testing phase.
- Background Investigation
- A thorough background investigation is completed on all applicants. This includes (but is not limited to) contacting former and current employers and references, a credit check, and a criminal history check.
- Psychological Evaluation
- All applicants meet with a licensed psychologist, who makes a recommendation to the GPD about whether the candidate should advance in the hiring process.
- Medical Screenings
- Applicants meet with a physician at the Employee Health Center at City Hall and are given a comprehensive 2-part medical screening, which includes a vision and hearing test. Applicants cannot be colorblind and must meet the standard of 20/30 corrected in both eyes and 20/100 uncorrected in both eyes.
- Stress Test
- This is a cardiovacular fitness test designed to measure an applicant's aerobic capacity. The applicant runs on a treadmill while heart rate is measured.
Applicants must successfully complete each step in the process before being extended an offer of employment.
Once employed as a police officer with the Greenville Police Department, all new hires register to attend the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy (SCCJA) in Columbia, SC for 8 weeks. Prior to the 8-week class, recruits receive 4-6 weeks of training via the online SCCJA training program at their home agency, and then must pass a cumulative test on the material. They will also complete their initial firearms qualification, taser certification, and OC spray certification at their home agency before attending the SCCJA.
Certified officers from other states and military police may qualify for a shortened 1-week class at SCCJA after receiving 2-3 weeks of training via the online SCCJA training program and qualifying with firearms, taser, and OC spray at their home agency.
The Greenville Police Department's Police Training Officer (PTO) program is 15-18 weeks (may be abbreviated for prior experience) and the probationary period is one year.
Now Hiring! | How to Apply
The application for Police Officer is currently open to all interested applicants.
**Application opening extended**
The application period will close for all applicants on April 26, 2019. All applications must be submitted prior to 11:59 p.m. on this date.
|Who May Apply||Application Opening Dates||Application Link|
|Lateral officers only||March 18-April 26, 2019||Apply Here|
|All interested applicants||April 1-26, 2019||Apply Here|
When you apply, make sure you have:
- Contact information for 5 references (3 professional/2 personal)
- Job history with supervisor contact information for the past 10 years
- Information regarding active duty/military service (if applicable)
- Every city/state/county you have resided in since age 16
Please add the following email addresses to your contact list to be sure you receive email communications from our jobs portal:
*Application portal recommended browsers: Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Edge
(based on 43-hr week)
High school diploma
Salary based on prior experience and formal training
Add 1 step after completion of training
- All new officers are full-time employees of the City of Greenville and receive their full salary and benefits during training and while attending the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy.
- Required uniforms and equipment are provided at no cost to officers
- Take-home car after successful completion of Field Training Program
- Tuition reimbursement up to $5,000 per fiscal year for approved undergraduate and graduate courses
- Employee wellness programs
- Employee Heath Center
- Free visits with a nurse practitioner at the Employee Health Center
- Comprehensive insurance & benefits plan
- Family/medical leave
- Military leave
- Longevity bonuses paid every 5th year
- 28-year state retirement with pension
- Supplemental elective 401k/457k
- Retirement planning
- 11 (8-hour) holidays per year
- Annual leave time as follows:
- 1st year of employment: 13 days
- 2nd through 10th years: 18 days
- 11th through 20th years: 23 days
- 21st year and beyond: 28 days